Monday, June 21, 2010

The Ryndem Sound Engine




Wow, it's been a while now since I've updated my blog.  With so much going on, who has time to write?

With all the game stuff I've been doing lately in my free time, I've been finding an incredible lack of good Audio tools for Game Devs.  The only one I found that was worth a damn was  Fmod, which is amazingly powerful, but also very expensive to license for the Casual game peeps.

So, I decided to make my own Unity3d/Flash Sound Engine and it's called Ryndem.  I also took a little bit of a different approach.  While it's a sound mixing program like Fmod is, it also is a smart system that you can use to drive the gameplay itself.

It will also have a super simple Hierarchical State Machine incorporated into it, so you can map out the mix/gameplay elements.  This will be useful for Rhythm games, and just keeping everything in a beautiful sync.  I'm still working on the UI, but I have a few in game music mixes here:

www.soundcloud.com/Ryndem

And you can follow the project at:  www.twitter.com/Ryndem

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good ish Sean! I love the way your mind works!!!

y_nk said...

Hello,

Do you have a nice source to fully understand what a hierarchical state machine is ?

Thanks a lot, your blog is very interesting :)